Saturday, July 19, 2014

Being Mary to Elizabeth

     My first trimester of pregnancy was definitely challenging for me. I have never been good at suffering and that is something that I pray to become better at. I did not have as rough of a first trimester as many women do but it still wasn't easy for me. The first challenge I faced aside from emotional toll of worrying about the health of my baby, was adjusting to the new wave of hormones coursing through my body. I really can't explain how it felt but I truly did not feel like myself and it was very strange. I am normally a very warm and affectionate person towards Tim. When we are home I am often hugging him, cuddling on the couch or kissing him. My primary love language is physical touch. However, after a few weeks of being pregnant I realized that this aspect of my personality had changed. I was not that interested in any physical affection. This really concerned me because I did not feel like myself anymore. I wanted to be that warm cuddly wife but for some reason it was really difficult. Tim was really great at trying to understand the changes I was experiencing but it was really hard for me to explain because I did not understand it myself. Thankfully this part of pregnancy probably only lasted a few weeks and I started to feel more like myself again.
    Another challenging aspect of pregnancy was the fatigue. I am used to experiencing some occasional fatigue as a result of my allergies but this fatigue was really difficult. It seemed that all I could manage to do was get through the work day and as soon as I got home I would crash on couch. Most days I would try to nap in my car but it started to get too hot for that. Tim would make dinner for us and do the dishes. He was also doing the majority of the chores. On the weekend I would try to help out by doing laundry and maybe cooking dinner but that would exhaust all of my energy. All of the burdens of the housework started to take a toll on Tim who was also working full time and not sleeping well since I would make many middle of the night trips to the bathroom. Over time we worked through these challenges and started taking walks together in the evening which seemed to help me overall. Thankfully the fatigue has also become more manageable and I am trying to be more helpful around the house. 
     However, I really needed something to get me through that challenging time. What I often reflected on  was Mary visiting her cousin Elizabeth in her first trimester of pregnancy. We don't know how Mary experienced pregnancy since she was without original sin but I imagine she must have experienced some degree of the physical affects of pregnancy.  It is presumed that she did not experience labor pains since that was an effect of original sin but I would imagine she would at least experience the burdens of carrying a human being her womb for nine months. Soon after Mary found out she was pregnant with Jesus, she immediately traveled to aid her cousin Elizabeth with her pregnancy. While I was experiencing my first trimester , the significance of this really resonated with me. Rather than worrying about her own pregnancy she immediately set out to be a servant to another pregnant woman. Mary is always sensitive to our needs above her own. She is truly a miraculous woman and I needed some of her strength. Her strength came from the Holy Spirit and I needed to rely on it as she had her entire life. When I would find myself sitting at my desk at work wondering how I could make it though the day I would ask about Mary for help. If Mary could travel across the desert to help her cousin Elizabeth while pregnant, I could certainly sit at my comfortable desk and counsel a pregnant woman or a mother with children. 
     When I was able to keep myself from wallowing in self pity I found an even greater joy in serving others while pregnant. I still had rough days and I think I still left too many burdens on Tim but life started to get easier and more enjoyable. Once I started sharing my pregnancy with the women I was counseling I was blessed with wonderful connections. Motherhood is a universal sisterhood and we really should be helping each other through it. It is so much easier to support a woman struggling with nausea when I can relate on a deep level to her. It is so gratifying to be able to support a woman through pregnancy and be of service even when I am struggling to get through the day. I really enjoyed my job before but now that I am trying to be Mary to Elizabeth I am finding even more enjoyment and fulfillment in it. I feel strongly called to help support other pregnant women and mothers and I am really excited to work on starting a mother's ministry at my church! Even if you are not pregnant I would encourage you to think about ways you can be as Mary was to Elizabeth. Our beautiful mother is the best example of what we are called to be as women! 

I have included the excerpt form the Gospel of Luke and I encourage you to read and reflect on it! 



From The Gospel of Luke:
35 And the angel answered her, The Holy Spirit will come upon thee, and the power of the most High will overshadow thee. Thus this holy offspring of thine shall be known for the Son of God. 36 See, moreover, how it fares with thy cousin Elizabeth; she is old, yet she too has conceived a son; she who was reproached with barrenness is now in her sixth month, 37 to prove that nothing can be impossible with God. 38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; let it be unto me according to thy word. And with that the angel left her.

39 In the days that followed, Mary rose up and went with all haste to a town of Juda, in the hill country 40 where Zachary dwelt; and there entering in she gave Elizabeth greeting. 41 No sooner had Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, than the child leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth herself was filled with the Holy Ghost; 42 so that she cried out with a loud voice, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. 43 How have I deserved to be thus visited by the mother of my Lord? 44 Why, as soon as ever the voice of thy greeting sounded in my ears, the child in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed art thou for thy believing; the message that was brought to thee from the Lord shall have fulfillment

46 And Mary said, My soul magnifies the Lord;47 my spirit has found joy in God, who is my Saviour, 48 because he has looked graciously upon the lowliness of his handmaid. Behold, from this day forward all generations will count me blessed;49 because he who is mighty, he whose name is holy, has wrought for me his wonders. 50 He has mercy upon those who fear him, from generation to generation; 51 he has done valiantly with the strength of his arm, driving the proud astray in the conceit of their hearts; 52 he has put down the mighty from their seat, and exalted the lowly; 53 he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty-handed. 54 He has protected his servant Israel, keeping his merciful design in remembrance, 55 according to the promise which he made to our forefathers, Abraham and his posterity for evermore.
56 Mary returned home when she had been with her about three months; 57 meanwhile, Elizabeth’s time had come for her child-bearing, and she bore a son.[5]


No comments:

Post a Comment